The "1000 Days of May": Surviving the May-ember Madness
They call it May, but any school administrator knows the truth: it’s May-ember. It is that high-octane, non-stop, "how-is-it-only-Tuesday" marathon that marks the end of the academic year.
This year, it feels like the madness didn't even wait for the calendar to flip; it spilled right over from April and hit the ground running. It is only May 5, and if you feel like you’ve already lived a thousand days this month, you aren't alone.
The Administrator’s Mental Tab
If you looked at the "open tabs" in an admin’s brain right now, it would look something like this:
The School Side: State testing logistics, Open House prep, final evaluations, the delicate puzzle of classroom placement for next year, hiring new talent, and the inevitable "staff shuffle."
The Big Picture: My district team and I are currently deep in the trenches designing important new incentives for next year. Is May the "right" time to add one more thing to the plate? Probably not—but in leadership, is there ever a perfect time?
The "Mom" Side: The workday doesn't end at the bell. Then comes the "second shift": baseball games, football practice, dance recitals, band performances, and the endless circuit of weekend birthday parties.
It is a lot. It is exhausting. And honestly? It’s okay to admit you’re already "done."
My Survival Guide: How to Do "It All" (Without Losing Your Mind)
Since we can't actually pause time, we have to manage how we move through it. Here are the tricks I’m using this year to keep my head above water:
1. Aggressive Calendar Management I don’t just mark meetings; I mark work blocks. If it isn't on the calendar, it doesn't exist. I protect those blocks fiercely so I can actually tackle those next-year plans without interruption.
2. The 15-Minute Escape Sometimes you just have to leave the building. I’ve started taking 15 minutes to drive off-campus just to grab a Diet Coke on crunchy ice. That small change of scenery and a cold drink can reset my entire afternoon.
3. The 5-Minute Reset When the office feels like a revolving door, I stop. Five minutes to stretch, breathe, and un-clench my jaw. It’s a small "manual override" for the nervous system.
4. The "No Email at Home" Rule This is a hard one, but it’s vital. I’ve realized that nothing truly "good" ever comes out of checking school emails at 7:00 PM. If it’s an emergency, they’ll call. If it isn't, it can wait until I’m back in the office. Home needs to be a sanctuary, not a satellite office.
5. Scheduled Self-Care If I don’t book it, it won't happen. I already have a facial and a massage on the books for this month. Knowing that "quiet time" is waiting for me at the end of a long week gives me the fuel to keep going.
To My Fellow Leaders...
Whether you are an administrator, a teacher, a parent, or (like many of us) all of the above: Hang in there.
We are all working hard to build something great for our students and our families, but we can't pour from an empty cup. Find your "Diet Coke moment" today. Take a breath. We’ll get through these 1000 days of May together—one sticker, one testing booklet, and one recital at a time.
What is your "May survival trick"? Drop it in the comments—we need all the help we can get!

Comments
Post a Comment